Tuesday, 7 May 2013

SLENDER THREADS by Pete Langman


For some reason I find that I don't read as many books these days as I did when I was working as a lawyer. I suppose there are two main reasons for this. First, I had a far more regimented life when I was working; I got up at 6.30am left for work at about 8.35am (no, I have no idea why it took me all that time to leave), stayed until about 7 or 8pm and came home. I never brought any work home and rarely went in at the weekend so the rest of my time was my own! I often had a book at home that I was reading and usually it was read on the loo in the morning and on the loo in the evening and, if it was one of those I couldn't put down, on the loo during the day. Marvellous what a high-fibre diet does for literature. The second reason I don't read so much is that the physical act of reading is more difficult now with my Parkinson's. I have less hours in the day anyway because everything takes longer to do and, when I do want to read, the act of reading is distracted by my tremor and the consequent difficulty of turning the pages.

But now and again a book comes along that is so interesting and so captivating and so well written that all these potential reading problems fade away. Yes, you've guessed it - "Fifty Shades of Grey"! Only joking-  I've never read it but my daughter reliably informs me that it is one of the worst volumes she has struggled through. No, of course, I am referring to "Slender Threads" by Peter Langman. I am no literary expert so I shall leave proper literary criticism of the book to others but I do have Parkinson's disease and that is what the book is about - "A Young Person's Guide to Parkinson's Disease".

I really felt that the book was written for me even though Peter is very angry about having contracted the disease in contrast to my claims that it has changed my life, in many ways for the better. It is searingly honest, very witty, well informed and very readable. It told me that I am not alone which is so important.

If you have Parkinson's Disease, then I would thoroughly recommend that you buy this book today. If your partner or other loved one has PD, then I recommend that you buy the book today; it will help you understand how PD can affect those close to you. If you do not have Parkinson's Disease, then I would recommend you buy the book today in order to increase your knowledge of what it's all about, Alfie.

WEBSITE: http://www.petelangman.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment